Monday, October 24, 2011

The job ...

Ok so I changed positions at my company. The team I'm on is ridiculously busy all the time. I'm also the person that has been on the team the longest and therefore I do a lot of other work too.

The company has been changing a lot of things lately; most especially changing the number of people they keep hiring just keep getting higher. It's keeping all of us very busy.

The team is keeps growing and the only commentary I'm getting on my job performance is that I need to work on my communication. I've been working with all of the departments we work with for over a year and despite the fact that 70% of the company works remotely from home each one of them has made it a point to come visit and meet me in person. I think that speaks a lot for my job performance, but I guess my bosses don't.

Oh, and let's throw in the fact that they've added a new boss to my department who knows nothing bout the department or the job that I get done on a daily basis. The new director wants to have a say over every move, conversation, and communication I have with anyone else in the company. It's almost like I've become a robot rather than a thinking individual.

I have a mousepad hanging in my cube. I don't actually use it. It hangs there as a reminder to myself. I'll need to take a picture of it to better illustrate my point but it says "Think outside the bowl". It was one of the last leadership prizes I got from one of the best mentors I ever had (oh GK how I miss thee). It reminds me everyday that I need to think outside the box to come up with new and innovative solutions to the problems that my team faces. I may not be a supervisor (yet) but I'm being treated like one so I'm going to act like one and hopefully the title will come.

I'd almost like to put a deadline on it and then move on. I don't know how much more I can wait. Things are just so up in the air right now ...

No comments: