The biggest thing has been the need to get my weight to a healthy number. Most doctor's before have told me before that "you're fat and you need to lose weight". This group has a nutritionist/personal trainer in the group so the doctor had me set up an appointment with her.
So I met with Rhonda, and I started on a preliminary detox diet. The general idea is lean white meats, lots of veggies and fruit, and limited grains. I had to eat six times per day with three of the meals being these "snacks". No sugar and a limited selection of sugar substitutes (Stevia, SunCrystals, or Agave Nectar).
It looks a little something like this:
| Preliminary Detox Plan | |||||||
| Vegetables - unlimited quantity (not an all inclusive list) | Fruit - up to 3 daily | ||||||
| Green beans | Onions | Broccoli | Arugula | Garlic | 1/3 cup berries | ||
| Red lettuce | Green lettuce | Spring mix | Dandilion greens | Rapini | baseball sized fruit | ||
| Boston lettuce | Romaine | Watercress | Zucchuni | Celery | |||
| Cauliflower | Spinach | Peppers | Kale | Carrots | |||
| Brussel sprouts | Sprouts | Squash | Leeks | ||||
| Tomatoes | Swiss chard | Green chard | Endive | Limit: | |||
| Shallots | Asparagus | Bok choy | Eggplant | Corn | |||
| Broccoli rabe | Turnips | Artichoke | Cucumbers | Peas | |||
| Okra | Sweet potatoes | Bell pepper | Carrots | White potatoes | |||
| Collards | Beets | Mustard greens | Yams | ||||
| Proteins - beans in any quantity, meat 2-4 oz 1-2 times a day | Oils | ||||||
| Lentils | Great northern beans | egg white - 4 | low sodium lean pork | 1 pat of butter | |||
| Black beans | Lima beans | 2-4 oz of cheese | low fat milk - 8 oz | 2 tbsp olive oil | |||
| Kidney beans | Mung beans | yogurt 6 oz twice daily | 1 tbsp peanut butter | 2 tbsp safflower oil | |||
| White kidney beans | Fava beans | hummus 1/2 cup daily | 1 tbsp almond butter | 2 tbsp walnut oil | |||
| Chick peas | Pink beans | cottage cheese 6 oz | salmon | 2 tbsp sesame oil | |||
| Black eyed peas | Split peas | lean fish | shrimp | vegetable, chicken or beef stock | |||
| Navy beans | lean chicken | tilapia | |||||
| Pinto beans | lean turkey | founder | |||||
| Grains - 2 cups daily | Flavor Enhancers | Hydration | |||||
| Brown rice with at least 3 grams of fiber | Farro | Oatmeal (not instant) 1 cup per day | 3 tsp Stevia, SunCrystals, or Agave Nectar No pink, blue, or yellow | All the water you want | |||
| Kasha | |||||||
| Whole wheat quinoa | Amaranth bread 2 slices | 24 oz herbal tea | |||||
| Whole wheat couscous | Selter water | ||||||
| Sprouted grain bread 2 slices | any spices | Milk | |||||
| Barley | Flavored vinegar | ||||||
| Wheat berries | Coconut crystals | ||||||
| Kashi seven grain rice pilaf | Agave powder | ||||||
| Snacks - combine a protein with a carb, 3 daily, raw or dry roasted nuts are best | Other stuff | Things to have: | |||||
| Chia seeds | Rice cooker | ||||||
| Carb | Protein | flax seeds | Plastic food scale | ||||
| 1/2 cup plain applesauce | 10 cashews | ||||||
| 8 oz low fat milk | |||||||
| 2 tbsp raisins | palm full of peanuts | Things to do | |||||
| 2 gingersnaps | palm full of walnuts | Incorporate movement into every day | |||||
| 4 woven wheat crackers | 2 oz cheese | ||||||
| palm full of almonds | |||||||
| 4 cups air popper popcorn (3 tbsp corn in a paper bag in microwave for 3 mins or less) | 1 tbsp almond butter | Track your food in a food journal | |||||
| 1 tbsp peanut butter | |||||||
| 1/4 cup hummus | Watch 23 1/2 hours on YouTube | ||||||
| 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese | |||||||
| Read: Food Rules by Michael Pollan | |||||||
| 1 cup raw mixed vegetables | 6 oz yogurt | ||||||
| 15 grapes | |||||||
| one piece of fruit | |||||||
The biggest thing was the moving. I work so many hours a week for the job that I hate that I was having a hard time squeezing in work out time with my limited down time. I lucked out so much when I found this website that has workouts to go with TV shows - then I didn't have to give up my TV time and I still got to workout. Oh the wesbite: fuckyeamovieworkouts.tumblr.com. There are full length movies on there too!
I did this for two weeks under the close watch of my new physician group (they have an special email portal thing that let's us check in with each other without me having to drive the 30 min to the office) and I lost *drum roll* ... 2 inches around my stomach and a total of 10 pounds of weight!!!!!!
So now, I am on the full detox that for 10 days and has no meat and no bread (and I don't eat beans at all so it's crazy restrictive!). I finish my 10 days on Thursday so I'll have the results then. I am feeling more like I have more energy and more focus. I am still having a hard time squeezing in the 6 meals a day - I might make 4 or 5 but almost never 6. Although some days, I do switch out a full meal with a replacement shake (usually breakfast) that is crazy easy to make:
| Power Smoothie | |||
| In a blender combine: | |||
| 1 scoop of whey protein | |||
| 4 oz Greek yogurt | |||
| Add water or ice as necessary | |||
| Include any of the items listed: | |||
| 1 tbsp peanut butter | |||
| 2 tsp instant coffee | |||
| 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder | |||
| 1/2 banana | |||
| 1/2 cup of berries | |||
| 3 oz Polanders Allfruit | |||
| 4 oz of 2% milk | |||
| 4 oz coconut water | |||
| 2-3 tsp of fiber powder | |||
Always include the top two items and then mix and match the bottom ingredients to your liking. I tend to do the peanut butter, cocoa, coffee and milk (especially since I don't like yogurt either and the Greek yogurt is a stronger flavor).
I'll check in again after I get the results on Thursday. The ultimate goal is to lose 100 pounds (and hopefully that will help a lot of my girly issues) and to just get healthier (that part was my New Year's Resolution).

No comments:
Post a Comment