Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's a hard thing to realize that your dad is old

Yup exactly as I mean it

So here's how today went: Got up, went to work for 8am, took my lunch shortly after 12, came back from lunch and worked some more, and just before 3 my dad is calling my cell phone to tell me that he's called an ambulance and is heading for the hospital cause his heart is beating too fast. I go running for my mother downstairs (cause i'm cool enough to work at the same place my mom does) and within 10 min of that phone call we have left work and are in the car on the way to the hospital. mom and i are traveling a further distance than the ambulance and some how manage to beat the ambulance to the hospital and not by just a few min but by over half an hour. When they finally let us back to see him, he's wired in so many places that I can't even tell which wires go where. No you have to understand that his heart doing this is nothing new, but that doesn't mean it isn't scary. They said his heart went into superventricular tachycardia (SVT). And for the most part, I was ok for the entire getting to the hospital, waiting for the ambulance, and getting home. But after dinner my dad went to sit in his favorite chair, also nothing new, but he got cold, and he put on his sweatshirt and pulled a blanket over his lap. If it weren't for how muscular he is, he would have looked exactly like the normal rockwell's showing grandpa sitting in the rocker.

Maybe it's a combination of that and the fact that him getting older means I'm also getting older. I've pretty much been holding back tears all night, so that I didn't upset my mother, but it's really hard to think that if no one had been at home with my dad or that he'd been driving to the store when it hit that he could be dead right now. My dad's not a young guy and he's been through a lot already at his young age of 72 but it really struck me tonight, my dad is old. And I think that sucks.

No comments: