Thursday, November 20, 2008

Coward is What You Are

So I'm a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance on my campus. We have a small bulletin board that was ripped up today in a cowardly display of homophobia. It's upsetting and it's scary all at the same. I'm an out bisexual here on my campus and if someone is going to be such a coward and attack a bulletin board, not once but twice now, how long until they escalate to physical violence? Who will they target? I'm looking at this from so many angles at one time, that I'm crying and screaming and ranting and hiding in the corner of my room all at once (at least inside my head). I'm scared for the GLBT community on campus that one of us will be targeted. I'm scared that I will be the target. I'm angry that they won't come out and face me. I'm angry that this is how they display their own fright and misunderstanding. Personally I want to string them up on one of the flag poles painted in rainbow colors by their underwear.

I guess that's cause I'm a very emotional person. I react with my heart and not my head. Although today I was so angry first that I went and documented everything very calmly. The only way you could tell that I was upset was that I was shaking. Unfortunately, nothing is being done immediately to start an investigation. I filed paperwork with campus police and they are sitting on their duffs in the office doing absolutely nothing. That's upsetting in and of itself but that's a whole other issue.

No comments: